Saturday, April 9, 2016

P - Phone #atozchallenge

Phone
This conversation I happened verbatim with my daughter in January. I transcribed it afterward because it was so clear, and telling. 
G is my girl, and M is me, mama. 
Ms. G likes to tell me, like other kids do, about all the things her friends have that she doesn't, often to include a phone. She had told me a couple times about phones and about a particular friend I call Isabel. Isabel has lots of privileges. I've heard of her, but I don't actually know who she is. Isabel has a phone, uses Instagram, wears eye shadow and probably has raging sleepovers with all the other girls who simply must be doing those things too. So I sat and listened to her for a moment and asked her to elaborate on this "everyone has a phone" statement she frequently throws at me.

G: Everyone has a phone.
M: Like who
G: Isabel has a phone, and she brings it to school.
M: Who's Isabel?
G: I don't know about Riley.
M: Yeah, what about Riley and Alexandria and Maya? You've told me all about what Isabel has, but those are your closer friends.
G: Oh. Don't know if Riley and Alexandria have a phone, I never asked them. [she giggles, lost in a moment] We're always too busy playing games and having fun when I see them on the playground.
M: Ahh. That tells me everything I need to know.

1 comment:

  1. Ha! I have similar discussions with my kids. Next time they tell me "everyone has" I'll point them to this blog ;)

    @ShonnaSlayton from
    Author Shonna Slayton: A to Z of the 1800s

    ReplyDelete